Friday, August 16, 2013

Friday, August 16

Today was probably the weirdest day I've had in a long time; it was good, then kinda* bad, then good.  Let me explain...

I woke up this morning and checked out the interweb (because I have an addiction to my laptop) to see that I had been featured on a fellow blogger's post today.  Check it out at A Little Bit of Wo.We.  I was so excited that, even though no amount of coffee could get me all the way through my workout today, I started dancing in my living room.  And then I completely forgot to put on makeup for work today.  True story.

That's part of the bad.  You never see my face in any of the photos, but boy do I feel like I NEED makeup.  Plus, it's just more professional to wear it as long as you keep it natural.  Anyway, I hate that I forgot it today.  What really made this day kinda* bad was the fact that today we teachers were trained on intruder response and active killer response.  Yes, you read that correctly.  We teachers aren't just expected to teach your precious little ones.  We are expected to actively respond to someone who is coming in to the school to KILL everyone.  If that kind of training doesn't sober up your day, I don't know what will.

Then I had a Pampered Chef party to host and my coworkers got to come over and hang out at my house for a while, which was lovely.

With that said, I have two outfits to post today.  One was what I wore to the morning session of our training, since we were told to wear professional dress.  The other is for the second half of our training, since we were told to wear comfortable clothes.  Why?  Because we were having to fight off "intruders" with guns and practice escaping the school with our "students".  Again, I can't think of anything more likely to give me nightmares tonight.  I almost broke down crying at various points in today's training.

Dress: Gap
Tank: unknown (it's super old)
Flats: Kohl's
Star necklace: gift from my grandma
Silver bracelet: Target

Chevron top: Walmart
Army Jacket: Maurice's
Jeans: Se7en for Lane Bryant
Shoes: Sperry's (from Dillard's)
Jewelry same as above

*Yes, I know.  I am an English teacher; I am fully aware that kinda is not a real word.  But in my defense, spell check thinks it is. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you had to do that training! We haven't had that, yet. I'm sure it's coming for every school in America. I'm on a campus style school now, so all those exterior doors are open all day. It terrifies me.

    On a side note: I'm sad for you that you have to wear professional dress for workdays! The only days during our workweek that we weren't in jeans was for the 3 hours of freshman orientation (where our workday was 8:00 to 7:00) and the morning when we had a guest speaker. The rest of the time we were in jeans at best. Some of us (not myself since I'm new and not so brave) were in gym shorts.

    Love that chevron top! And I soooo need a pair of Sperrys. I just don't want to drop that kind of cash. Maybe Belk will have a fall sale for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While the training was difficult emotionally, I think it was very good to have. It's actually more comforting to know that if something were to happen, I don't have to sit there and be a non-moving target for someone.

    As for the professional dress, it is a little more slack on days we don't have guest speakers, but since our building is under major scrutiny due to the fact that the building was rebuilt, we have to be on our toes. There are lots of bigwigs coming in to look at everything! I would love to be able to wear some yoga pants while I'm rearranging the furniture in my classroom!!

    ReplyDelete